Thursday 25 February 2016

I got my Mojo working (sometimes)


Photo by Hugh Taylor.
 Blackie's mojo is obviously working. 


You know those days your musical Mojo isn't working.

You can't remember a song you're trying to, your fingers fumble on the piano keys, you're temporarily stumped on a guitar riff you've known for years.

Maybe you try singing in the shower and a croak comes out instead?
Brass players get cold sores, guitarists nails break or fingers get hurt.
Every musician has had bad days, for so many reasons.

Or maybe, just for an example you understand, you're invited onstage with a band to sing backing vocals for one song. One tiny song, no big deal, no pressure, just backing vocals, easy peasy.
You're not too hot on your feet, (bit like me there as well) and find yourself just making it to the mic, in time to open your mouth and Sing; 'Got my mojo workin' straight back at the singer.

Everyone knows it,... easy,.... just do it.

My mojo was not working, my mojo had no idea what notes to sing, my mojo had upped and gone. Infact my mojo was behaving like the tragic character in a blues song. It had 'gone left me' 'out the back door' and 'down that lonesome railroad track'.

I sang something a bit like the right notes, but far too tentatively. And a bit right isn't what you want. Effortless perfection would be preferable. 

And so, there I was, listening through the verse with  the chorus on it's inevitable way again, Oh, how can I not know what to sing?  I've known it for many years.
There's  6 notes, in fact less than that, there's repeats. Only 6 syllables,
 Maybe my head wasn't in singing place, I had been audience up to 5 minutes ago, but really, now I felt so silly on that stage. Backing singing gives you too much thinking time at the best of times.  

So, as the singer finished his line, I took a big breath, opened my mouth, let my mind go blank and sang it, as it should be. 

I moved off the mic, and the bass player laughed, 'Got your Mojo Workin then? ' he asked.






No comments:

Post a Comment